Enrolment / Withdrawal of Enrolment

You may find all information on enrolment, withdrawal of enrolment and academic leave of absence here.


Doctoral candidates at Friedrich Schiller University (FSU) in Jena have the possibility to enrol. Enrolment is not compulsory, but it offers a whole range of advantages.

What are the advantages of enrolment?

  • thoska-campus card with a cashless payment function
  • Discounts in canteens and cafeterias of the Studierendenwerk Thuringia (student services organisation)
  • Student ticket for free use of public transportation (Verkehrsverbund Mittelthüringen regional rail services throughout Thuringia)
  • Insurance coverage, i.e. for activities at the University Jena, internships and excursions: legal accident insurance and a recreational accident insurance through the student services organisation
  • Automatic registration at the library and the university computer centre
  • culture ticket: free entrance for exhibitions and other cultural events

What are the requirements for enrolment?

Requirements for enrolment as a doctoral candidate are:

  • a university degree
  • the admission as a doctoral candidate at one of the faculties of Friedrich Schiller University (FSU)
  • not more than 20 hours employment per week
    • if employed at FSU Jena or at a cooperating research institute, 26 hours per week are permitted
    • doctoral candidates doing their internship (e.g. law, lectureship) may not enrol in most cases
  • payment of the semester fee (all information regarding the money transfer can be found on the application form in doc-in)

Important: If you have an employment contract, you must immediately inform us of any changes (e.g. top-up benefits, end of contract, extension). This is required for the successful confirmation for each upcoming semester. If you forget to report changes, you may have to pay a late charge.

What is the semester fee?

Since the winter semester 2019/20 the semester fee is 225,27 EUR and includes: 69,00 EUR contribution to the Studierendenwerk, 80,70 EUR for public transportation in Jena, 66,57 EUR for the train ticket for Thuringia and 9,00 EUR Student contribution.

For the issuance of the thoska chip card you will have to pay a one-time fee of 20,00 EUR.

If you have an intact and current student Thoska, you have the possibility to continue using it by request. If you wish to do so, please bring your Thoska along with the Thoska form to the Thoska office. Then, your Thoska will be examined and it will be decided whether reusing is possible.

How can I enrol?

  1. Open the doc-in start page. Click on 'Login' on the menu and enter your login details.
  2. Select the option 'Enrolment'. On the following pages doc-in will take you through the application process step by step.
  3. Hand in the signed application form by post or in person, together with the other documents needed:

Welcome and Service Desk for
Doctoral Candidates and Postdocs
Johannisstraße 13
07743 Jena

Which documents will I need?

  • Application form
  • Copy of your university degree (certificate and transcript of records)
  • Photocopy of the letter of admission as a doctoral candidate by the Faculty (available from the Dean's Office)
  • CV in tabular form
  • Proof of payment of semester fee (photocopy of bank statement)
  • Photocopy of your passport
  • Passport photograph for your Thoska (Thuringian student card)
  • If applicable, photocopied confirmation of your scholarship or of your employment contract
  • Photocopy of your health insurance certificate
  • Photocopy of the statement of removal from the register of students (Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung)

International doctoral candidates
International doctoral candidates may already enrol for one semester before they have been admitted as a doctoral candidate. A prerequisite is that the admission has already been applied for at the faculty. In addition to the above-mentioned documents you will also need:

  • Officially certified copy of your university degree (Master, Diploma or equivalent) with Transcript of Record
  • Officially certified copy of the translation (German or English) of the university degree certificates (if the original was in a language other than German or English)
  • Photocopy of your visa or residence permit ("Aufenthaltsgenehmigung")


During the year, you will receive information about re-enrolment for the coming semester. Then you will have time to pay the semester fee and meet any requirements until the deadline of re-enrolment.

Important: Please immediately inform us of any changes to your employment contract (e.g. top-up benefits, end of contract, extension). This is required for the successful confirmation for each upcoming semester. If you forget to report changes, you may have to pay a late charge.

How will I receive the information on re-enrolment?

Approximately six weeks before the re-enrolment date, the university will email the payment information to all enrolled doctoral candidates. Your University of Jena email address will be used (which you automatically received upon enrolment). If you do not regularly use this address, you should forward it to your regular account. You can also view your re-enrolment information and status via the Friedolin portal. Here you will also find information about any requirements.

Are there any requirements for re-enrolment?

There may be additional requirements for re-enrolment:

  • Doctoral candidates who have been enrolled for more than 7 semesters have to submit a confirmation of their supervisor or their faculty stating that they are still working on their dissertation. The confirmation form can be found here.
  • Doctoral candidates who are on a temporary work contract have to submit a copy of their new contract. 

We will attempt to inform you about any requirements in a timely manner. However, enrolled doctoral candidates are generally required to report changes to their employment contracts (e.g. extensions) without being asked.

What happens if I do not transfer the semester fee?

If the University did not receive your semester fee in time and you did not apply for withdrawal from enrolment or leave you will have to pay an additional fee of 25 EUR.

I do not want to re-enrol

If you do not want to stay enrolled (for example because you finished your doctorate), please apply for withdrawal from enrolment.

Withdrawal of enrolment

If you no longer fulfil the requirements for enrolment, you will need to withdraw.

What are the reasons for the withdrawal of enrolment?

  • You have completed your doctorate: You need to withdraw by the end of the semester in which you defended your thesis.
  • You take up an employment for more than 20 (respectively 26) hours per week: You need to withdraw by the day you start your employment.

What do I need to consider when I withdraw my enrolment?

Once you have withdrawn your enrolment, you will no longer be able to access enrolment certificates in the Friedolin system. Please make sure that you have downloaded all the certificates you need before withdrawing.

Where can I find the withdrawal form?

You can download your request for withdrawal here:

How can I withdraw?

  1. Download the withdrawal form.
  2. Unsubscribe from ThULB (university library). You were automatically registered when you enrolled. You require a deregistration certificate from the library for your withdrawal, which you can obtain from the central lending point in the main library building (Bibliotheksplatz 2). You can also send an e-mail via this form (include your name, e-mail address, library user number, enrolment number and date of birth).
  3. Submit the signed form (by post or personally) together with the other documents to:

Welcome and Service Desk for Doctoral Candidates and Postdocs
Johannisstrasse 13
07743 Jena

Academic leave of absence

Enrolled doctoral candidates may request leave of absence for important reasons.

Please note: In general, handing in a leave of absence is possible at all times. But if you don't want to pay the semester fee for the semester of leave, the application form has to be handed in before the re-enrolment deadline (for summer semester: before 15 February; for winter semester: before 15 August).

What does academic leave of absence mean?

  • You continue to be enrolled and a member of the University
  • You can continue using the library and your University Computer Centre account
  • You do not have to pay the semester fee, but are also not entitled to benefits such as the semester ticket for public transport, discount in the student canteens or the student services organisation's insurance service.

What reasons justify an academic leave of absence?

Potential reasons for requesting a leave of absence include:

  • Sickness (lasting more than 6 weeks, medical certificate required)
  • Research stay abroad (lasting longer than 6 weeks, 2 semesters maximum, confirmation by supervisor required)
  • Maternity/parental leave (please provide a document proving your pregnancy (e.g. Mutterpass) or your child's birth certificate)

How do I request an academic leave of absence?

  1. Download the the application form for international doctoral candidates and fill it in.
  2. Inform your supervisor of the interruption of your doctorate and, as the case may be, the coordinator of your doctorate programme and/or scholarship sponsor.
  3. Hand in the signed application by post or personally to:

Welcome and Service Desk for Doctoral Candidates and Postdocs
Johannisstrasse 13
07743 Jena

If the application is complete and correct, you will receive a confirmation of your leave of absence by post within 5 - 10 working days.

Announcements of change

Please notify us in case of any relevant changes. This could be for example:

  • Changes of address
  • Changes of email address
  • Changes of name, e.g. after marriage
  • Changes of employment relationship, e.g. extension of employment contract (in this case we will need a copy of the new contract)