Doctoral candidates at Friedrich Schiller University (FSU) in Jena have the possibility to enrol. Enrolment is not compulsory, but it offers a whole range of advantages.

What are the advantages of enrolment?

  • thoska-campus card with a cashless payment function
  • Discounts in canteens and cafeterias of the Studierendenwerk Thuringia (student services organisation)
  • Student ticket for free use of public transportation (Verkehrsverbund Mittelthüringen regional rail services throughout Thuringia)
  • Insurance coverage, i.e. for activities at the University Jena, internships and excursions: legal accident insurance and a recreational accident insurance through the student services organisation
  • Automatic registration at the library and the university computer centre
  • culture ticket: free entrance for exhibitions and other cultural events

What are the requirements for enrolment?

Requirements for enrolment as a doctoral candidate are:

  • a university degree
  • the admission as a doctoral candidate at one of the faculties of Friedrich Schiller University (FSU)
  • not more than 20 hours employment per week
    • if employed at FSU Jena or at a cooperating research institute, 26 hours per week are permitted
    • doctoral candidates doing their internship (e.g. law, lectureship) may not enrol in most cases
  • payment of the semester fee (all information regarding the money transfer can be found on the application form in doc-in)

Important: If you have an employment contract, you must immediately inform us of any changes (e.g. top-up benefits, end of contract, extension). This is required for the successful confirmation for each upcoming semester. If you forget to report changes, you may have to pay a late charge.

What is the semester fee?

Since the winter semester 2019/20 the semester fee is 225,27 EUR and includes: 69,00 EUR contribution to the Studierendenwerk, 80,70 EUR for public transportation in Jena, 66,57 EUR for the train ticket for Thuringia and 9,00 EUR Student contribution.

For the issuance of the thoska chip card you will have to pay a one-time fee of 20,00 EUR.

If you have an intact and current student Thoska, you have the possibility to continue using it by request. If you wish to do so, please bring your Thoska along with the Thoska form to the Thoska office. Then, your Thoska will be examined and it will be decided whether reusing is possible.

How can I enrol?

  1. Open the doc-in start page. Click on 'Login' on the menu and enter your login details.
  2. Select the option 'Enrolment'. On the following pages doc-in will take you through the application process step by step.
  3. Hand in the signed application form by post or in person, together with the other documents needed:

Welcome and Service Desk for
Doctoral Candidates and Postdocs
Johannisstraße 13
07743 Jena

Which documents will I need?

  • Application form
  • Copy of your university degree (certificate and transcript of records)
  • Photocopy of the letter of admission as a doctoral candidate by the Faculty (available from the Dean's Office)
  • CV in tabular form
  • Proof of payment of semester fee (photocopy of bank statement)
  • Photocopy of your passport
  • Passport photograph for your Thoska (Thuringian student card)
  • If applicable, photocopied confirmation of your scholarship or of your employment contract
  • Photocopy of your health insurance certificate
  • Photocopy of the statement of removal from the register of students (Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung)

International doctoral candidates
International doctoral candidates may already enrol for one semester before they have been admitted as a doctoral candidate. A prerequisite is that the admission has already been applied for at the faculty. In addition to the above-mentioned documents you will also need:

  • Officially certified copy of your university degree (Master, Diploma or equivalent) with Transcript of Record
  • Officially certified copy of the translation (German or English) of the university degree certificates (if the original was in a language other than German or English)
  • Photocopy of your visa or residence permit ("Aufenthaltsgenehmigung")